Tuesday 19 May 2009

transcoding to MP3

I hate it when Apple remove a function or facility from some software. We get so used to companies adding utility. I recently wanted to create some MP3 files from .aiff files. Easy, I used to use iTunes. Possibily the only thing its useful for. Except the newest version I have doesn't seem to allow you to do this anymore. 

The solution was to use a free application called 'Switch'. This worked like a dream and with much more control and features than iTunes.  Great.

When working with FCP, its easiest to disarm iTunes. I hate the way it hijacks audio CDs and automatically opens them in iTunes. I turn this off, and re set the default application.   (Select the file in the finder, then click command (apple) + i.)

Now when I load an audio disc , I preview it in the Finder and when I open it , it opens in QuickTime. If I want to use the track in FCP then I save it to the media assets file of the project, and transcode it to 48K at the same time. No iTunes, no glitchy playback, all the assets in the right place.

The offical Apple way of bringing audio into FCP with Batch export is DAFT.

cheers, Mike J

No comments:

Post a Comment